There was almost certainly a Saxon church on the site, either of wood or stone, at the time of the Norman Conquest.
A licence was obtained from the Bishop of Ely in 1254 to build a new church, and this marks the beginning of the present church.
The church is built mainly of stone and the oldest part of the church is the lower stage of the tower, which dates from the
13th century, though it may include Saxon work, and is in the Early English style.
Our earliest picture - an etching from 1748 - original held at the British Museum
Postcard - 1907
1960's aerial photograph